Churchill Downs annually helps to support local kids by collecting school supplies and other items to help children get their school year off on the right foot. This year, the employees of Churchill Downs racetrack and the corporate office worked together to support the students of our backside workers.
The school supplies drive collected the following items:
- Backpacks (new) - these are always in high demand!
- Composition books
- Crayons (8-, 16- and 24-pack)
- Dictionaries (small)
- Folders (2-pocket)
- Glue sticks (no liquid glue)
- Markers (washable)
- Notebooks (1-, 3- and 5-subject)
- Pencils (colored, regular and red marking)
- Pencil boxes or pouches (with zippered close)
- Scissors (Fiskars)
The items were collected by Churchill Downs Director of Community Relations Dana Johnson and presented to local students on Monday, Aug. 18, in conjunction with staff from the Churchill Downs chaplaincy program. Photos of the recipients are at right.
Thanks to all the employees and friends of Churchill Downs who worked hard to promote education and make a difference in the lives of our local students!