One Week of Rotating Colors Will Recognize Each Louisville-Area High School
LOUISVILLE, KY (Thursday, May 14, 2020) – Churchill Downs announced today plans to honor the city of Louisville’s Class of 2020 by lighting up the Twin Spires of the historic racetrack. A schedule of colors has been established from Saturday, May 16, through Friday, May 22, that will honor the graduating seniors of each Louisville-area high school.
“Through the years, lighting the Twin Spires has been our unique way of celebrating a special achievement or showing that we care,” said Kevin Flanery, President of Churchill Downs Racetrack. “Through the COVID-19 pandemic, we’ve been able to join our fellow Kentuckians in lighting the Spires green to communicate our compassion for those who have been impacted by the virus. We also wanted to recognize those who have sacrificed meaningful milestones in their lives this year so we are honoring our graduating seniors and their significant accomplishment the best way we can.”
Churchill Downs’ tribute to the Class of 2020 will begin Saturday, May 16, and coincide with the first day of resumed, spectator-free live racing at the racetrack. The schedule of schools and their designated color is:
- Saturday, May 16 (orange) – DeSales, Fern Creek
- Sunday, May 17 (green) – North Bullitt, Saint Xavier, South Oldham, Trinity, Western
- Monday, May 18 (red) – Atherton, Bullitt East, Butler, duPont Manual, Pleasure Ridge Park, Sacred Heart Academy, Seneca, Waggener
- Tuesday, May 19 (blue) – Academy at Shawnee, Bethlehem, Brown, Christian Academy, Collegiate, Eastern, Fairdale, Iroquois, Kentucky Country Day, Mercy Academy, Moore, North Oldham, Oldham County, Presentation, Valley, Highlands Latin, Shelby County, Martha Layne Collins
- Wednesday, May 20 (yellow) – Central, Walden
- Thursday, May 21 (maroon) – Assumption, Ballard, Bullitt Central, Doss, Holy Cross, Jeffersontown
- Friday, May 22 (purple) – Buckner Alternative, Male, Southern
Images of the Twin Spires will be shared each night on Churchill Downs’ social media handles along with a tribute to each school’s graduating class. If you are part of a Louisville-area graduating class that is not listed in the current schedule and would like to be included, please contact Tonya Abeln (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your school’s name, spirit colors and official social media handle.
About Churchill Downs Racetrack
Churchill Downs, the world’s most legendary racetrack, has conducted Thoroughbred racing and presented the Kentucky Derby since 1875. Located in Louisville, the flagship racetrack of Churchill Downs Incorporated (NASDAQ: CHDN) will conduct the 146th running of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Woodford Reserve on Sept. 5, 2020. The 2020 Spring Meet will run from May 16 – June 27. www.ChurchillDowns.com