Late nominations for the 141st running of the $1 million Longines Kentucky Oaks (Grade I) and the 29th running of the $500,000 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic (GI) are due to the racing office at Churchill Downs Racetrack (“CDRT”) by 11:59 p.m. (all times Eastern) on Wednesday, April 9.
Each late nomination to the Kentucky Oaks, America’s premier race for 3-year-old fillies, must be accompanied by payment of a $1,500 fee. The early nomination phase for the Oaks closed Feb. 21 with 154 fillies made eligible for the 1 1/8-mile race.
The Kentucky Oaks is scheduled for Friday, May 1 at Churchill Downs and will be televised by the NBCSN.
Late nominations to the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic, a 1 1/8-mile Kentucky Derby Day race for 4-year-olds and up on the Matt Winn Turf Course, must be accompanied by a fee of $1,000. The early nomination phase for the Woodford Reserve Turf Classic concluded Feb. 21 and attracted nominations of 74 older grass stars.
April 8 also is the deadline for nominations to 10 stakes races scheduled to be run at Churchill Downs during Kentucky Derby Week. Nominations will close at 11:59 p.m. for a slate of races that begins with the first running of the $100,000 William Walker for 3-year-olds at six furlongs on Saturday, April 25 – “Opening Night” of the 38-day Spring Meet.
entucky Oaks Day stakes races with the April 8 nomination deadline include:
- $300,000 La Troienne (GI) for fillies and mares 4 & up at 1 1/16 miles;
- $400,000 Alysheba (GII) for 4-year-olds and up at 1 1/16 miles;
- $200,000 Eight Belles (GIII) for 3-year-old fillies at seven furlongs;
- $150,000 Edgewood Presented by Forcht Bank (GIII) for 3-year-old fillies at 1 1/16 miles on turf; and
- $150,000 Twin Spires Turf Sprint (GIII) for 4-year-olds & up at five furlongs on turf.
Stakes races scheduled for Kentucky Derby Day, Saturday, May 2 with the April 8 nomination deadline include:
- $300,000 Humana Distaff (GI) for fillies & mares 4-years-old and up at seven furlongs;
- $500,000 Churchill Downs (GII) for 4-year-olds and up at seven furlongs;
- $300,000 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile Presented by Longines (GII) for fillies and mares at one mile on turf;
- $250,000 American Turf Presented by Ram Trucks (GII) for 3-year-olds at 1 1/16 miles on turf; and
- $200,000 Pat Day Mile Presented by LG&E and KU (GIII) for 3-year-olds at one mile.
Horsemen can make late nominations to the Kentucky Oaks or Woodford Reserve Turf Classic or nominate horses to the 10 other Kentucky Derby Week stakes events by contacting Churchill Downs Racing’s Kelly Danner by telephone at (502) 638-3825 or email at Kelly.Danner@KyDerby.com. Nominations also can be made via fax at (502) 638-3915. Nomination forms for the Longines Kentucky Oaks, Woodford Reserve Turf Classic and the 10 other Derby Week stakes are available online at www.churchilldowns.com.